Monday, March 12, 2012

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie remake

They're making another Garbage Pail Kids Movie!  I kid you not.

Now I loved the Garbage Pail Kids cards when I was in middle school in 1985-1986.  I collected hundreds. I owned every card from the first eight series, and many in the ninth.   If my dad and stepmom hadn't made me throw them away, I'm sure they'd be worth thousands of dollars now. (I remember she called them "demonic.")

Now I'd always meant to see the 1987 Garbage Pail Kids movie.  I just never got around to it.  I'd heard it was awful, but morbid curiosity kept bringing it back in my mind.  I also remember at one an animated series was being developed for it, and when the studio head saw the pilot, he balked and cancelled the whole project.  Would love to see that pilot.

Anyway, everything 1980's is cool again, and so the Kids are getting another shot at the big-screen. I don't know if this'll be live-action or animated.  I'm sure it'll be terrible.  And yet, I'm looking forward to... renting it.

Here's the original trailer in all its Anthony Newley/Mackenzie Astin/leftover thugs from Michael Jackson's "Beat It" video glory:


No comments: