Friday, March 16, 2012

NBC's The Office - TV Review


We have to talk about The Office.

It's been one of my favorite comedies for years, but I haven't been able to say that is still true.  The show has not recovered from the departure of Steve Carell's Michael Scott.

James Spader's Robert California was great for a couple episodes, but the possibilities with him never really manifested.  And now that we know he's leaving, I can't say those are the big shoes to fill.  Carell's comedic void remains.  Ed Helms's Andy is a good character, but as the boss, he's this earnest guy that everyone is rooting for.  They want him to succeed.  He lacks that self-absorbtion that Michael had that unwittingly made his co-workers miserable.  I caught a rerun of when Jim and Andy were working the New York office.  Anger-management Andy had a lot more edge to him.  I'd like to see a little more of that guy come back.  Maybe we will now that he's been ousted.

Also, we know that not only is Spader leaving, but Rainn Wilson (Dwight) is getting his own Schrute Farms spin-off, and Mindy Kaling (Kelly) will be leaving as well for her own show on Fox.  Does NBC cancel Harry's Law and bring back Kathy Bates's Jo?  May be no need since Catherine Tate's Nelly is joining the cast full-time.  I'm pretty sure that had been the plan last year but there was so much buzz about the job Spader did in the season finale that they brought him on board for a full season.

So I still watch every week, and there are still things that happen that make me smile.  I'll watch it to the series finale and will miss it when it's gone.  It just ain't what it used to be.

No comments: