Monday, May 14, 2012

The Skin I Live In - DVD Review

Starring Antonio Banderas, Elena Anaya, Marisa Paredes, Jan Cornet and Roberto Alamo.  Directed by Pedro Almodovar.

½

Well, that certainly was one of the most demented films I've ever seen.

Antonio Banderas, who always comes across as a better actor when speaking in his native tongue, plays Robert Ledgard, a plastic surgeon who's working on improving human skin. He has a prisoner at his house on whom he conducts his experiments, a woman who spends her time doing yoga and seems to be okay with her confinement.

The movie then jumps back in time to give the backstory for these people and show what's led them to this state, and it's one of the most ridiculous, twisted stories of the year. It's melodramatic horror or dark comedy or both at the same time. Dr. Ledgard is something of a Dr. Frankenstein.

The movie has plenty of squirm-inducing scenes and felt exploitative. There may be brave souls out there willing to put themselves through this "for art's sake," but I regret having ever seen it.

1 comment:

Tammy Compton Hauge said...

I am an Almodovar fan, but I skipped this movie because it sounded too disturbing. Reading that you wished you hadn't seen it made me glad that I didn't go.