Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sex & the City - DVD Review

SEX & THE CITY (**1/2) - Starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristen Davis, Cynthia Nixon, Chris Noth, Jennifer Hudson, Evan Handler, Jason Lewis, David Eigenberg, Willie Garson and Candice Bergen.
Directed by Michael Patrick King.

I imagine this is just like watching five episodes in a row of the series. And I hear it was a good series. I saw maybe one episode, but fortunately the movie is designed to appeal to those who've never seen it.

I didn't think it was bad. It's a total chick flick. I enjoyed the breeziness to it, the interaction of the characters, at least the main four. We get a five-minute narration/montage basically catching us up to where the series ended. Then the movie starts to mess some of the happily-ever-afters the series left them with.

I was confused by their careers. You never see them working. They're always shopping or traveling or eating out, but they're all rich, especially Samantha. Did she inherit it? Ehh, doesn't matter. The money's there to pay for the obscene amount of clothing changes, like it's one long fantasy of women in their 40's to play dress-up. There's tons of product placement. It's a celebration of excessive consumerism. Its real flaw to me was casting Academy-Award winning actress Jennifer Hudson, who showed that Dreamgirls was her one note. I was surprised. I could almost see it in Sarah Jessica's eyes, the effort it took to carry her co-star in their scenes.

It's long, about two hours and twenty minutes, so it's probably better on DVD, where it does feel like watching five episodes in a row.

No comments: