Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Expendables - DVD Review


ll1/2

Starring Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, Eric Roberts, Steve Austin, Terry Crews, Randy Couture, David Zayas, Charisma Carpenter, Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Directed by Sylvester Stallone.


Is it cool seeing all these guys in the same movie? Sure! Then what?

It really is a great reminder just how shallow many of those old 1980's action movies are. What cliches can we wheel out? Cue the corporate mustache-twirler behind the South American military dictator. Does it matter though? Not really. Still fun.

I got a kick out of seeing Dolph Lundgren again. Not that I'm nostalgic for old Dolph. I saw Masters of the Universe recently and his acting was terrible. But I liked him here, liked watching him and little Jet Li fight. I liked watching Sly Stallone and Jason Statham hang out. I liked seeing Sly, Arnie and Bruce Willis in the same room, even if the scene was just one giant in-joke. I liked watching Mickey Rourke have fun talking smack to the group.

That's really what this movie's about and what it boils down to. Is it any better than a documentary would be about these guys hanging out for the day? Yeah. I'd like to see that doc too, but this had some decent action toward the end, amusing camraderie, and a thumping soundtrack. It's probably better than two-thirds of the movies these guys put out on their own.

No comments: