Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Takers - DVD Review


ll

Starring Matt Dillon, Idris Elba, Paul Walker, Hayden Christensen, Michael Ealy, Tip "T.I." Harris, Chris Brown, Jay Hernandez, Zoe Saldana, Steve Harris, Johnathan Schaech, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Nick Turturro and Glynn Turman.
Directed by John Luessenhop.


Slick, empty caper about a gang of thieves and the cops trying to stop them. Idris Elba, using his real accent, leads the crooks, and Matt Dillon cracks skulls as the main cop. It was passable to me until I realized it's virtually the same plot of Michael Mann's Heat. Then it instantly paled.

It's not without its guilty pleasures. I liked seeing a skinny, suspenders-wearing Hayden Christensen beat up three guys in a well-choreographed fight scene in a small office. I liked Michael Ealy giving earnestness to a movie that doesn't really deserve it.

It's dragged down by subplots that don't really add anything, like Elba's drug-addict sister and Dillon dealing with red-tape and possible corruption at the station. The final shoot-out held no emotional wallop, but I think it was supposed to. That's a bad sign.

No comments: