Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Due Date - DVD Review


ll1/2

Starring Robert Downey Jr., Zack Galifianakis, Michelle Monaghan, Jamie Foxx, Juliette Lewis and Danny McBride. Directed by Todd Phillips.

First of all, Planes Trains & Automobiles is a better, funnier movie, and these two movies share the same plot. But that doesn't mean this one doesn't have its share of laughs.

One thing I liked is that Downey's character has a mean streak to him. He's not a particularly nice guy, and so for him to be stuck with the man-child of Galifianakis, it's karmic retribution. Of course, as the journey continues, he begins to melt to this idiot.

I can't say I believed some of the emotional transitions. Part of that is that Galifianakis is playing a very similar fool to the one he played in The Hangover. Part of it is I can't help but go back to PT&A where their emotional climax was better earned.

So for what it is, it's fine. It was actually a little better than I thought it would be.

No comments: