Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pandorum - DVD Review

**

Starring Dennis Quaid, Ben Foster, Cam Gigandet, Antje Traue, Cung Le and Eddie Rouse.
Directed by Christian Alverte.

Sometimes when I watch blockbuster scifi's, I think to myself how cool it would be to see a midbudget spin-off that takes place in another corner of the universe they've created. This feels like one of those movies.

It all takes place on a spaceship headed for a new planet. The crew is placed in hibernation, awaking at intervals. Flight Crew #5, to be awake for years 9 and 10 of the flight, consists of two men, and one of the side-effects of waking up is temporary amnesia, but Flight Crew #4 is nowhere to be found.

At first, I was drawn in. The middle part gets bogged down with bad CGI-creatures running loose on the ship, and the end featured two twists, one cool and one I saw coming a mile away. Dennis Quaid and Jeff Bridges, whom I considered about equal acting-talent-wise and career-wise twenty years ago, have gone on separate paths. Bridges is a shoo-in for Best Actor this year while Quaid's doing supporting work in stuff like GI Joe, Legion, and this. Well, if Quaid wants to go the Jon Voight route, more power to him.

If I had to compare the movie aftertaste to anything else, it would be Event Horizon. Except this movie was better than that.

No comments: