Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Descendants - Movie Review


★★
Starring George Clooney, Shailene Woodley, Amara Miller, Beau Bridges, Robert Forster, Nick Krause, Judy Greer and Matthew Lillard.
Directed by Alexander Payne.

I'll start by saying my wife didn't like it. She said it was too slow and she was bored.

I liked it. But I went in expecting a movie that would live up to all the award buzz it's been receiving. I've seen more than one critic call it the best movie of the year. It's good. It's fine. The acting is terrific. But this won't make my top ten, let alone my best movie of the year.

George Clooney plays a real-estate lawyer whose wife is in a coma after a boating accident. He's used to being the backup parent, letting his wife deal with their two daughters (Shailene Woodley, Amara Miller) so he can focus on work. But with her out of the picture, he has to reconnect. He also, with his cousins, owns a trust of a million acres on one of the Hawaiian islands. They're trying to decide if they should sell and to who.

The movie does a good job of displaying how the personal and professional life blends and overlaps, and it has some funny moments, but overall I'd call it a drama. You can tell it's from the man behind About Schmidt and Sideways.  And it could trim the ruinning time by ten minutes and not lose a thing.

No comments: