Friday, June 26, 2009

Drag Me to Hell - Movie Review

***

Starring Alison Lohman, Justin Long, Lorna Raver, David Paymer, Adriana Barazza, and Reggie Lee.
Directed by Sam Raimi.

I must admit, for all the movies I've seen, and many were forgettable, I've never seen any in the Evil Dead trilogy. If this movie is any indication, though, I need to check them out.

Raimi has fun like few horror movies do, knowing when to go for laughs, when to go for thrills. Is it perfect? Far from. Is it fun? Yes. Funny? Yes. "Here, kitty, kitty" brought the house down.

I guess my main complaint is that everyone and their dog will see the twist ending coming from the second it's set up.

Ellen Page dropped out and Alison Lohman jumped in to the lead, which is good for Lohman but bad for the movie's box-office, as Page's star-power might've aided in a bigger opening weekend. Lohman plays a bank teller who is cursed by a gypsy woman who's getting evicted. For the rest of the movie she must fight away demons trying to drag her to hell.

No comments: