Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Transporter 3 - DVD Review


TRANSPORTER 3 (*1/2) - Starring Jason Statham, Robert Knepper, Natalya Rudakova, Francois Berleand and Jeroem Krabbe.
Directed by Olivier Megaton.

I've been having bad luck with DVD rentals lately. I enjoyed the first two Transporter movies for their escapist trashy action, but I just saw this yesterday and I can hardly remember anything about it. I remember a redhead Russian girl trying too hard to be sexy. I remember an invasive soundtrack. I remember a lot of camera angles where you couldn't actually see the face of the person talking, which lends itself easily to dubbing in other languages. In fact there were a few actors where I swear they were dubbed in English, and they were speaking in their native tongues. Easier for international distribution that way.

And I remember Prison Break's Robert Knepper playing the bad guy sans southern accent, prone to shooting his own men when they backtalk.

Jason Statham's a cool action hero, and I emphasize once again The Bank Job is one of 2008's best movies, but more often than not, I don't know what Statham's thinking with some of his choices. For this third installment nuking the fridge, I blame the director. I appreciate being able to watch a car drive off a bridge and crash into the river below in one take. Maybe even a little slowed down. In this movie it speeds off the bridge, then hovers in the air Matrix-style, then quickly plunges into the river speeded-up again. Why three different speeds on one five-second action shot?

No comments: