Friday, April 16, 2010

Sherlock Holmes - DVD Review

***

Starring Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, Mark Strong, Eddie Marsan and James Fox.
Directed by Guy Ritchie.

When I first heard they were going to beef up Sherlock Holmes in a more actiony way, I was worried they'd dumb it down too much, but I'm pleased Sherlock still has his eye for detail, in savant fashion. Downey's the perfect choice for the intrepid investigator, and Jude Law's the ideal second banana as Dr. Watson. Rachel McAdams tends to elevate whatever she's in, so I was glad to see her show up as the love interest / femme fatale (as fatale as Victorian England allows a lady). So interested is Ritchie in character interaction and exciting action sequences that the central mystery is secondary. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, but in the inevitable sequel, I'd like to see Sherlock get stumped.

No comments: