Thursday, August 26, 2010

My One and Only - DVD Review

**
Starring Renee Zellweger, Logan Lerman, Kevin Bacon, Mark Rendall, Chris Noth, Nick Stahl, Eric McCormack, David Koechner, Steven Weber, Troy Garity and Robin Weigart.
Directed by Richard Loncraine.

I remembered this was based on the childhood of someone famous, but I didn't look up who so I could watch it unbiased. And I was surprised when the reveal came who he is.

My problem with this was the tone and the borrowing. One scene comes straight out of Monty Python's Life of Brian. Another scene comes right out of GoodFellas. And I don't mean tone-wise, I mean they literally felt like someone took those scenes and changed the dialogue a little,a nd then plugged them into this movie.

So is this a comedy or a drama? Zellweger's socialite mother seems like a comic character but with bad things that happen to her. Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson) has the intensity of a dramatic character but when we find out who he is, I don't know, seems like he would've been a little more light-hearted in his youth.

She's a rich woman who learns her husband's cheating on her so she puts her two teenage boys in the car and drives across the country looking for a new husband/sugar-daddy to take care of them. Each guy seems to get 5-10 minutes and then she moves on, and after the third failure, I found myself growing impatient with what's going on. So... she's going to go through the rest of the actors I've heard of in the opening credits before she has her epiphany? A big meh from me.

No comments: