Monday, February 23, 2009

Coraline - Movie Review

CORALINE (***1/2) - Starring the voices of Dakota Fanning, Teri Hatcher, Ian McShane, John Hodgman, Dawn French, Jennifer Saunders, and Keith David.
Directed by Henry Selick.

I sat and marvelled at the clever inventions springing forth from the right brains of Henry Selick and Neil Gaiman. This is great entertainment all the way around, and it's pretty much what I would hope the director of Nightmare Before Christmas, including demonstrating improvements with his techniques.

Coraline is a girl frustrated by her parents inattention who finds a portal to an alternate reality where her parents are attentive and sweet, and the only price is that everyone has black buttons for eyes. Coraline finds herself less enchanted with her actual life and more intrigued by this new place, but soon enough, the sinister motives of her "other mother" reveal themselves.

It makes me want to read the book.

Now there is one scene that bugged me as a parent, and it's why I won't take my younger kids to it. I'd be okay with the spooky elements of the movie. But there's one scene where this grotesquely disproportionate aging actress sings a song as Aphrodite with nothing but pasties on her breasts, which are as big as her head.

No comments: