Monday, February 9, 2009

Dirty Jokes in Kids Movies

This is a trend that has been bugging me for a few years now. The first time it annoyed me was with 1998's Antz, a DreamWorks animation pic that decided to include one ant calling another ant an "a--hole." Then there was 2000's Titan A.E., where you had a butt shot of the main character. Don't get me started on the Shrek series.

I bring this up because of two things I heard about. 1.) Monsters vs. Aliens. My wife was offended because there's a scene in the preview where a guy has to get his butt scanned to be admitted into a secret government room. That scan would presumably include his privates. Isn't that sexual harrassment? What if it was a woman who had to have her naked butt scanned to get into a government room?

Then there's Coraline, which I was looking forward to taking my older kids to, but we were warned there's a scene of a grandma who has breasts bigger than her head, and she does a dance with just pasties on. Why oh why did the filmmakers find it necessary to include this?

Pixar finds a way to make great family movies that includes humor adults can appreciate without resorting to the potty humor these other studios keep inserting into their work. It's like sneaking in a fly or two into the stew. Why put a fly in there at all?

No comments: