Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Youth in Revolt - DVD Review

**

Starring Michael Cera, Portia Doubleday, Jean Smart, Zach Galifianakis, Ray Liotta, Fred Willard, Justin Long, Steve Buscemi, Mary Kay Place, and M. Emmet Walsh.
Directed by Miguel Artera.

I can see why this was delayed for two years. Michael Cera does his stammering best in the lead, and he is an enjoyable actor to watch in the right vehicle. Here he's a twitchy nervous good boy surrounded by comic caricatures. He decides to invent an alter persona - Francois - who does bad things that he might be more attractive to his crush (Portia Doubleday, and no, I don't know who she is.)

The arrivals of actors like Zach Galifianakis and Fred Willard and Steve Buscemi and Ray Liotta and Jean Smart AND Justin Long would usually a good time is about to be had. I don't know what favors the director pulled to get all these people together, but none of them are really given life and lift to the central story.

Well, I pull back from that. I did get some smiles with Smart as Cera's exasperated mom, in addition to Cera himself. And I think all the best gags were in the trailer so I didn't get many surprises. But really, it's more of a time-killer.

No comments: