Friday, July 15, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau - DVD Review


ll 1/2

Starring Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Anthony Mackie, John Slattery, Terence Stamp and Michael Kelly. Directed by George Nolfi.

Pretty sure I saw a Twilight Zone episode with the same plot. I'm guessing since it's based on a Philip K. Dick story I'm right. Not going to look it up. I'm assuming right here and now I am correct.

Matt Damon is David Norris, a Congressman from Brooklyn who may or may not run for the Senate. He runs into a beautiful girl named Alyse (Emily Blunt) and they have instant chemistry. But some guys in fedoras don't like them hooking up. Why? "It's not part of the plan."

By one guy in a fedora not intervening at the right moment, David by chance meets her again. This simply won't do. And when David accidentally sees the men at work, these "adjusters", they catch him and they realiz they have no choice but to tell him the truth about their existence. But it comes with a warning. If he tells anyone else the truth, they'll wipe his memory. And he's forbidden to see Alyse again.

So who are these guys? Angels? Aliens? Why is so critical to "the plan" that David and Alyse stay apart? By the end, all is explained, if not satisfactorily. (I get the explanation; I just found it anti-climactic).

I enjoyed most of it. I've noticed many of these PKD movies are "guys on the run who know too much" (Minority Report, Paycheck...). It's just that the farther into the movie, the less interesting it becomes.

No comments: