Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Battle: Los Angeles - DVD Review


ll 1/2

Starring Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriguez, Michael Pena, Bridget Moynahan, Ramon Rodriguez, Ne-Yo, Lucas Till and Jim Parrack.
Directed by Jonathan Liebesman.

My teens liked it, so it pretty much does its job of trying to be a PG-13 Black Hawk Down about an alien invasion.

So I tried to determine why I didn't like it more. Part of it, I believe, is that Black Hawk Down was based on a true story. It had a very you-are-there feel to it, to being in the middle of a historic moment. This is one day in the life of a military group dealing with creatures from outer space.

BHD was also a series of characters building to one great whole. This one centers on Aaron Eckhart, and while I like the guy, I was never compelled by his central story, and for some reason, he gives all his lines with that gravelling intense whisper, even during his big inspire-the-troops speech. And anytime he commanded a soldier to go off by himself and secure this perimeter or that tower, we knew that soldier was toast.

I appreciate that the aliens weren't another variation on the multi-tentacled exoskeleton xenomorph. I liked that they wore armor too. It's just that they looked like unsellable droids that Jawas left in the back room. We'd better win; we've been invaded by nerds.

No comments: