Saturday, July 30, 2011

Red Riding Hood - DVD Review

l 1/2

Starring Amanda Seyfried, Gary Oldman, Billy Burke, Max Irons, Virginia Madsen, Lukas Haas and Julie Christie. Directed by Catherine Hardwicke.

I didn't mind Twilight, really. I kinda like them. But when I watched this movie, I thought of all the people who hate Twilight and thought "I get it."

The best thing about this movie is the opening credits. The camera sweeps over snowy mountains and through rich forests before we settle on the village that'll be the center of this story. I think it's in Europe, but most of the accents are American. Then Gary Oldman shows up with a German twinge and I got really confused.

The movie features a young woman desired by two different young men, but instead of one being a werewolf, we only know that one of them might be a werewolf. This werewolf is killing villagers, and they don't know who it could be.

The movie gets points for employing Gary Oldman and a Battlestar Galactica alum. It loses points for the ridiculously heavy-handed manner in which it hands 'Red Herring' signs on possible suspects. One character stops just short of saying "Hey I might be the werewolf! Suspect me!"

This is a horror movie is squarely aimed at junior-high girls, and I see no reason for anyone outside of that demographic to see it.

No comments: