Saturday, December 3, 2011

Movie Award Season

I saw Beginners the other day.  It was really good, and Christopher Plummer was great in it.  It wasn't exceptional for him; it just showed that if you give him a quality part, he will nail it.  He's a worker.  He'll keep appearing in movies like Priest so he can make a Beginners.  Nevertheless, he has to be the favorite right now to win Best Supporting Actor.

Most of the award-buzzed movies either haven't come out yet, or if they have, it's only on a limited basis.  I want to catch George Clooney in The Descendants as soon as I can, because I get the feeling it may not stick around long.  I'm looking forward to The Artist, The Iron Lady, My Week with Marilyn, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, etc., opening at a theater near me.  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and War Horse are the other big award-bait ones coming.  I hear Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close will be in the mix, but I can't say its trailer appealed to me.

Oh yeah, and Hugo.  Still gotta catch Hugo.

I missed Drive and The Ides of March.  Hopefully they're at a $1 theater somewhere soon.

No comments: