Friday Box Office Estimates
1. Fast & Furious 6 - $10.5 million ($146.34) - 8 days
2. Now You See Me - $10.05 - 1 day
3. After Earth - $9.8 - 1 day
4. The Hangover Part III - $5.23 ($77.39) - 9 days
5. Star Trek into Darkness - $4.44 ($169.19) - 16 days
6. Epic - $4.15 ($52.91) - 8 days
7. Iron Man 3 - $2.2 ($378.95) - 29 days
8. The Great Gatsby - $1.94 ($123.93) - 22 days
After Earth is going to be the infamous bomb of the summer. Its Scientology-based theology and general hokeyness is drawing comparisons to Battlefield Earth, and it's another stinker for M. Night Shyamalan, who should probably try to direct something low-budget and written by the guys behind Insidious or Sinister.
Now You See Me improved in tracking as it got closer, but just last week it was expected to get $22 million compared to $37 million for After Earth. Now it looks like it'll actually beat it. It will probably wind up with $27-28 million, and AE more of a $25-26 million range.
In other news:
- Tom Cruise has dropped out of Guy Ritchie's big-screen take on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. due to scheduling conflicts with his upcoming Mission Impossible 5. Henry Cavill (Man of Steel) has been mentioned as a replacement.
- Glenn Close will play top cop in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy movie. She'll play the head of Nova Corp, the intergalactic space patrol. The film co-stars Zoe Saldana, Chris Pratt, John C. Reilly, Dave Bautista and Michael Rooker.
- Eric Roberts has joined the cast of The Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence.