Friday, October 18, 2013

New TV Show Reviews Part 3

ABC's MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. - I've watched three episodes now, and ... it has issues. Mainly it falls into Whedonverse snark before I've learned to like any of the characters.  Agent Colson (Clark Gregg) is the character we recognize, and then Ming-Na is a TV vet, and then the rest of the cast are so far bland, pretty people. Hacktivist Skye (Chloe Bennet) is our POV character, but she's more obnoxious than sympathetic. This may take a full season to iron out the kinks. Grade: C+

FOX's SLEEPY HOLLOW - Fox has found their own Grimm. The pilot was pretty entertaining, and a new star may be born in the form of Tom Bison as Ichabod Crane, a 1776 soldier who wakes up in 2013.  There's mystical magic involved in such a feat, and so Crane teams up with a Sleepy Hollow cop to fight the Headless Horseman and other paranormal baddies.  Grade: B+

NBC's WELCOME TO THE FAMILY - A show where I was okay with the half-hour I watched, but wouldn't want to visit it again, which is good since it got cancelled today.  Grade: C

ABC's THE GOLDBERGS - Loud Jewish family in the 1980's. Amusing, if not enter-the-DVR-rotation worthy. Grade: B-

ABC's TROPHY WIFE - Also amusing, and I might have watched a second episode if its ratings weren't so weak, as I really like its cast (Malin Akerman, Marcia Gay Harden, Michaela Watkins, Bradley Whitford). Grade: B-

NBC's SEAN SAVES THE WORLD - Sean Hayes is back on a sitcom, playing a gay single dad raising his daughter while dealing with a crazy work environment thanks to his new horrible boss (Thomas Lennon). This Sean isn't as crazed as Jack, but the physical humor feels dated and the folks in the live-studio sound like they're straining to nail their laughs.  Grade: C-

I had NBC's IRONSIDE on my DVR, but that got cancelled today too, so I deleted it without watching.

No comments: