Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Runaways - DVD Review

**3/4
Starring Kristen Stewart, Dakota Fanning, Michael Shannon, Alia Shawkat, Scout Taylor-Compton, Tatum O'Neal and Brett Cullen.
Directed by Floria Sigismondi.

I enjoyed Kristen Stewart as Joan Jett, I enjoyed Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie, and I really enjoyed Michael Shannon as their creepy manager, but this movie was much shallower than I was expecting. I know; how deep can rock-n-roll teenage girls be? But this is like the Tiger Beat version of the story when I was expecting a little more Rolling Stone. Maybe because the source material is Cherrie's book, we focus on her. We watch the rise and fall of a naive, corruptible teenage girl whose career is over before it's begun. Considering that two of the other Runaways were Joan Jett and Lita Ford, who went on to have their own successful rock careers, I would liked to see them get a little more spotlight in the story.

And really, isn't it a problem if your movie's about a band, and the best character is the manager?

No comments: