Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Movie Review


**3/4

Starring Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Billy Burke, Dakota Fanning, Bryce Dallas Howard, Anna Kendrick, Peter Facinelli, Elizabeth Reaser, Jackson Rathbone, Kellen Lutz, Ashley Greene, Nikki Reed and Jodelle Ferland.
Directed by David Slade.

I don't know how I would feel about these if I was watching them by myself, but I know I probably wouldn't give them as free a pass as I do since I watch them with my wife. And once again, I give a barely thumbs-up. I don't mind these movies. I kinda enjoy them. I like a craze that sends women of all ages to the multiplex that doesn't rely on fashion. What can I say?

I know what I can say. The acting of Robert Pattinson has improved. Maybe that's to director David Slade's credit. Maybe it's because Edward is forced to confront some things or say thoughts out loud he's only brooded about the past two movies. Taylor Lautner's jaw is steelier as Jacob, and there's a hint of menace behind his love for Bella.

I was distracted by Bryce Dallas Howard as Victoria. Personally I think Summit and Rachelle LeFevre could have easily worked something out and I think Summit booted her as an excuse to get Ron Howard's daughter another acting gig.

This one has a better plot than New Moon. Victoria is creating an army of new vampires in Seattle, and apparently vampires are at their craziest right after they turn. The Cullens and the werewolves decide they must form a temporary truce to fight off this new army, as Victoria is determined to point the troops to Forks any day now.

If you liked the first two, you'll like this. If you disliked the first two, I don't think this'll do much to change your mind.

No comments: