Friday, January 25, 2008

Cloverfield - Movie Review

CLOVERFIELD (**1/2) - Starring Michael Stahl-David, Lizzy Caplan and Mike Vogel.
Directed by Matt Reeves.

It is Godzilla meets The Blair Witch Project. I've seen it described that way a few times, and that is the perfect description. I don't remember getting nauseous during Blair Witch though. I did wish I'd taken Dramamine in the middle of watching Cloverfield.

Shaky-cam has been getting used more and more for realism's sake. Paul Greengrass employs it to great effect, and my only problem with the last Bourne movie was the few times he used shaky-cam during action scenes where I simply couldn't tell what was going on.

Cloverfield is beginning-to-end non-stop shaky-cam. I loved the idea, the concept of this picture, and it would have been great if the guy holding the camera had put in a little more effort into being steady. But there are a lot of scenes of people running or walking on unsteady surfaces, or going up and down stairs, and about halfway through my stomach started lurching like I'd just spent to much time on the Tilt-A-Whirl.

No comments: