Thursday, September 23, 2010

Just Wright - DVD Review


*3/4

Starring Queen Latifah, Common, Paula Patton, James Pickens Jr., Phylicia Rashad, Pam Grier, Laz Alonzo, Mehcad Brooks and Dwight Howard.
Directed by Sanaa Hamri.

The perfect film for insomniacs, especially if you've seen the preview. I did see the preview a couple times in theaters, and the movie hit every note at all the predictable moments down to the very end. Even if I hadn't seen it, I knew where everything was going. Now that's a familiar trapping of the romantic comedy, right? It's predictable and doesn't have to actually be funny, just pleasant?

Another problem I had with this is that Common is not that good of an actor. I guess it depends on his role. I didn't have a problem with him in Date Night, for instance, but carrying the lead role here, there were times he was trying too hard. I also didn't like the basketball. It's always cool to see real NBA guys show up and play themselves (okay not always), but the choreography of the game, Scott McKnight (Common) is a dribble-happy ballhog. Couldn't they have shown McKnight make a cool pass or two to justify his role as point guard?

My favorite part? Claire Huxtable herself, Phylicia Rashad, plays McKnight's mom. Other than that...

No comments: