Friday, March 11, 2011

It's Kind of a Funny Story - DVD Review


ll 1/2

Starring Keir Gilchrist, Zach Galifianakis, Emma Roberts, Viola Davis, Lauren Graham, Zoe Kravitz, Jeremy Davies and Jim Gaffigan.
Directed by Ryan Fleck & Anna Boden.


It's kind of an amusing story, the kind of movie I probably would have really liked if I'd seen it as a teenager, but now its mopey shallowness goes like water off a duck's back.

Keir Gilchrist (The United States of Tara) is a charismatic enough lead, our teen narrator who has some angst and asks to be committed when he's feeling suicidal. What happens when you combine Diary of a Wimpy Kid with One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? You get a slightly cooler movie than this.

I did enjoy many elements of it. I like when he goes to sing karaoke and he imagines everyone decked out in full Queen/David Bowie gear. I liked the budding romance between him and the hot girl inside. (Of course there's a hot girl inside).

It's fine. I don't regret renting it, but I wouldn't go out of your way to track it down either.

No comments: