Friday, March 18, 2011

The Switch - DVD Review


l 1/2

Starring Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Patrick Wilson, Jeff Goldblum, Juliette Lewis, Thomas Robinson and Todd Louiso.
Directed by Josh Gordon & Will Speck.


I thought this was supposed to be a comedy. It's actually a sappy 45-minute melodrama. Oh, it's 90 minutes? Well, they stretch it out with mournful, contemplative piano chords.

Aniston and Bateman play platonic best friends. She decides she wants a baby and hires a sperm donor. She even has a party at her house to celebrate the insemination. Bateman gets drunk and depressed and on a whim, trades the donor sperm with his own. He's so drunk, though, that he doesn't remember it the next day. Meanwhile Aniston moves away.

Six years later she moves back, and heck if the little tyke doesn't remind Bateman of himself. Well, that's an hour of the movie gone. You can guess where the last half-hour goes.

I can say I liked Bateman's performance. He never felt like he was trying to be funny. But then, the script rarely asks him to. It sounds to me like this premise could have gone the farcical route, but instead it lays there like a dead fish. How many more bad movies can Aniston put her name on before producers stop shelling out the dough?

1 comment:

Bryon said...

I don’t know how I would raise this kid considering how he is, but I was (am) just like that kid and now I feel more sympathetic to her. I don’t remember my mother thinking I was adorable but I was certainly strange. The dynamic between Wally and Sebastian was heart breaking though since Wally knew he was his father. When I came across this on Blockbuster’s website I thought “hey, this looks great” but I couldn’t find the message by the end other than don’t be afraid of failing. Honestly the only redeeming quality is that the movie was free because I got my 3 month subscription to DVD’s by mail from Blockbuster as a new DISH Network customer. http://bit.ly/jYtohY Even though I’m an employee of DISH I still got the free membership.