Saturday, March 5, 2011

Monsters - DVD Review


ll 1/2

Starring Scoot McNairy and Whitney Able.
Directed by Gareth Edwards.


If I didn't know anything about the budget, I probably would've not liked this movie. But since they were able to make this with such a small budget, I have to admire it. Its main problem is that it's all setup and no payoff.

This shows the world in a few years if an alien "infection" happened, where northern Mexico is quarantined. It follows two people in Mexico who need to get back to the US, and eventually, about halfway through the movie, they decide they have to go by land.

We see glimpses of the giant "monsters" in the infected area. They're something between floating squids and Cthulu. I liked how every once in a while you'd see them on the news, but their presense has become commonplace. District 9 explored similar ideas, but with a bigger budget and better results.

I'm glad I saw it, for now I know, and I can look forward to whatever Gareth Edwards does next. But is it necessary to see? Not really.

No comments: